Release 17, Batch 17
SPLIT STAVE BY KELVIN “BRRYE”
This is the third edition of Split Stave by Kelvin, a whiskey utilizing proprietary finish casks made exclusively for Four Gate Whiskey Company by Kelvin Cooperage in Louisville. The first two releases, a Bourbon and a Rye, respectively, were very well received by whiskey lovers. This third release is a blend of 6 and 7-year Kentucky Straight Bourbons, a 9-year Indiana Straight Bourbon, and an 8-year Indiana Straight Rye Whiskey, resulting in a sweet and spicy blend the company has dubbed BRRYE. The whiskey was then finished in their popular Split Stave casks, made by crafting a series of toasted barrels and a series of charred barrels that are broken down before use and reassembled with alternating toasted and charred staves. For this year’s release, Kelvin Cooperage utilized staves made from French Oak which produce a spicier flavor profile than traditional American White Oak.
The end result is a spirit bursting with toasted marshmallow underlying strong baking spices, black pepper, and cinnamon.
SPLIT STAVE BY KELVIN (RELEASE 17) Stats
- Bourbon Mash Bills (All three): 75% Corn, 21% Rye, 4% Malted Barley
- Rye Mash Bill: 95% Rye, 5% Malted Barley
- Non-Chill Filtered
- 112.7 Proof
- 3,005 Bottles
- MSRP: $199
- Available: December 2021 in Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Texas, Seelbachs.com, Boubonoutfitter.com, and caskers.com
TASTING NOTES FROM THE CHIEF BLENDING OFFICER
- Appearance: Deep amber
- Nose: Toasted marshmallow, cinnamon, baking spices, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Taste: Sweet buttered cinnamon buns, cloves, vanilla extract, black pepper, and hints of mint
- Finish: long and satisfying with peppery spices and notes of citrus
Batch 17 Press
BATCH 17 PRESS RELEASE
BATCH 17 PHOTOS