Release 11, Ruby Rye Springs
Release 11, Batch 11
Ruby Rye Springs
Ruby Rye Springs is Four Gate Whiskey Company’s third presentation of the same underlying 7-year old Straight Rye Whiskey from Indiana following River Kelvin Rye (Batch 7) and Split Stave™ by Kelvin (Batch 10).
This latest release showcases the citrus and spice characteristic of the sourced base spirit while adding a fruity sweetness from 42 days extra aging in Ruby Port-Rum Casks.
The secondary casks originally were originally used to mature ruby port, a fortified wine from Portugal in which the wine is removed from barrels and stored in tanks to prevent further aging, leaving the resulting product sweeter and brighter on the palate than other styles of port wine. The barrels found a second use with Virago Spirits in Richmond, VA where the barrels were used to age a blend of rums, imparting them with a lush molasses sweetness that pairs excellently with the bright red fruit of the ruby port.
Ruby Rye Springs Stats:
- Straight Rye Whiskey Finished in Ruby Port-Run Casks
- Mash Bill : 95% Rye, 5% Malted Barley
- 113.4 Proof
- 1,444 Bottles
- MSRP: $185
TASTING NOTES FROM THE CHIEF BLENDING OFFICER:
- Nose: Fruit cake, tart gum drops, lemon and orange zest, and spicy rye.
- Taste: A sweet tart red berry note greets the tip of the tongue with a spicy black pepper flowing down the center palate. Raspberries and blueberries surround the periphery with a hint of citrus rounding out the taste.
- Finish: Medium-to-long, the black pepper and sweet red fruits dominate the start, with sweet molasses rounding out the viscous mouthfeel.